July 24, 2021

Lakefront Hartwell

Complete News World

Haiti asks Washington to send troops after the mysterious assassination of the president

A few days after Haitian President Jovnell Moss was attacked by bullets at his home, the country’s authorities on Friday called on the United States and the United Nations to send troops to defend strategic bases for fear that they would not be destroyed. It was about his assassination.

If we know that the armed commando who hanged the president was made up of 28 people (26 Colombians and two Americans of Haitian descent), no details have been released as to the reasons for this act or the identity of his supporters.

Senior police and military commanders in Colombia told a news conference in Bogot that at least 17 former Colombian soldiers were suspected of involvement in the massacre.

The Haitian government has called for the deployment of troops to protect Washington and the United Nations, fearing that key infrastructure such as ports, airports, oil terminals or transportation of petroleum products could be targeted.

“After the assassination of the president, we thought that the mercenaries might destroy some infrastructure to cause chaos in the country. During the conversation with the US Secretary of State and the UN, we made this request,” Matthias Pierre, the minister responsible for elections, told the AFP.

Through a U.S. State Department spokesman, the Haitian government confirmed that it had “requested security and investigative assistance.”
“We are in constant contact with Haitian officials to discuss how the United States can help,” the State Department said.

UN diplomatic sources had previously indicated that Haitian officials had made the request to protect the airport and oil installations, but a Security Council resolution was needed for this purpose.

READ  Eid al-Adha 2021 begins on Tuesday 20th July

Fifteen people have been arrested in connection with the assassination of President Moss – Fifteen Colombians and two Americans have been hit by bullets at his home from Tuesday to Wednesday night, Haitian police say.

All three Colombians were accused of being commando members, and eight were still adults, said Haitian Police Director-General Leon Charles, whose results were slightly different, according to other official sources.

The weapons and equipment allegedly used by the attackers, moles, laptops and a Colombian passport were later recovered by police and displayed to the press, with several suspects lined up against a wall and handcuffed.

Taipei said on Friday that 11 suspects had been arrested on the premises of the Taiwanese embassy in Port-au-Prince.

The United States has said it will send FBI and Homeland Security officials to Port-au-Prince “as soon as possible” without confirming the arrests.

Port-au-Prince and its environs, which had been paralyzed for several days, awoke on Friday with apparent and dangerous calm, the AFP noted on the spot.
Public transport, banks, petrol pumps, street shops and public administration resumed operations, saving basic necessities by making fun of people in supermarkets.

“I do not know what will happen tomorrow or the day after tomorrow in the country, so I’m preparing for the bad days. I’m primarily buying everything I can keep for several days,” explains the supermarket in Port-au-Prince.

In the country, however, everyone was on a quest trying to understand how such an attack could have occurred.

Port-au-Prince’s attorney general, Meh Bed-Ford Claude, announced Thursday that senior police officers directly responsible for the security of the Haitian president are on the scene and are being called to justice.

READ  Bashar al-Assad has been re-elected President of Syria

“I did not see any policemen other than the president and his wife. If you were responsible for the president’s security, where were you? What did you do to the president to avoid this fate?”, He asked me. Bed- Ford Claude.

Others wondered about the involvement of these police officers, which added to the confusion.
The attack further destabilizes America’s poorest country, which is plagued by insecurity.
Two men claim to lead the country, which currently has a population of 11 million, more than half of whom are under 20 years of age.

One of the last political gestures of Joanne Moss, who died at the age of 53, was the appointment of an eighteenth prime minister, Ariel Henry, on Monday.

But just hours after the tragedy, interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph announced a two-week siege, handing over strengthened powers to the executive.
Mr. If the opposition accuses Joseph of seizing power, the UN ambassador to Haiti felt he was representing responsible power because he had not yet sworn in at the time of Ariel Henry’s assassination.

The country is already mired in an institutional crisis: Jovnell Moss has not held an election since coming to power in early 2017, and the country has not had a parliament since January 2020.